Sunday, June 1, 2008

I Don't like the Dirt!

"For I know the plans I have for you," saith the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11)
A Young Girl in a Flower Garden by Evert Pieters
A Young Girl in a Flower Garden

A little girl walking in a garden saw a particularly beautiful flower and promptly picked it because she felt it was too pretty to be in the dirt. She then took the flower home and rinsed the dirt off with water.

Shortly thereafter, the flower wilted and died.
when the owner of that garden
saw what the little girl had done,
he exclaimed, "You have destroyed my finest plant!"

"I'm sorry, but I didn't like it in all that dirt," said the girl.

The gardener responded by saying,
"I chose that spot and mixed the soil
because I knew that only there
could it grow to be a beautiful flower."

Sometimes we become like that little girl, fixated on the dirt of our life instead of seeing the beauty and growth that will emerge in time.
But once we have experienced seeing the hand of God in our life, we have assurance that we can trust Him in His sovereignty.
Sunlight cuts through fog filling a mountain valley at twilight by Jodi Cobb
Sunlight cuts through fog filling a mountain valley at twilight


So,
  • if it feels like nothing good will ever come out of what you are going through,
  • be patient and steadfast, knowing that God "plans to give you a hope and a future"

I have lived a long time;
and the longer I live,
the more convincing proofs I see of this truth--
that God governs in the affairs of men. (Benjamin Franklin)

Dr. David Jeremiah
Allposters

Love,
Mimi

14 comments:

SweetAnnee said...

Oh I am just like the flower..beautiful in the dirt

love and hugs..Deena

Ruthie said...

That is a beautiful illlustration and so meaningful. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs.

Mimi said...

Deena,
we have to have faith that God will make us into what He wants us to be by giving us the trials and "dirt" in our lives in order to make us grow...
Love,
Mimi

Joyce's Ramblings said...

mimi,
God has so much of value in the dirt so we can bloom and praise him. Hugs.

Cathy said...

I really liked that lovely post, Mimi. Hope all is well, thinking of you. :)

Unknown said...

I loved your post and such a sweet way to illustrate how God loves us through all of our trials.
Blessings~ Lisa

Melissa said...

a perfect post for spring and gardeners...

Anonymous said...

Great post especially for spring.
I hope that you are haveing a Great Day.That my story and I'sm sticking to it.

~~Deby said...

oh boy...I know that dirt and sometimes it is almost like quick sand...but alas the Lord does rescue me ...and most often I have put myself in the spot ..by my own sin or disobedience...so thankful for HIS grace and mercy.
Deby

~~Deby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy said...

Such a wonderful story Mimi. It is one that i relate with fully. I am seeing though how God has taken the dirt I had been in , and is making something beautiful out of it all.

Hugs and blessings, i am so glad you are doing ok. :)

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

We are going through a rough spot at the moment that feels like that. Your post was so helpful to me. I have reread it several times...Hugs...mary

Rose of Sharon said...

What a lovely post today Mimi. It is so true how we can focus on the negative instead of the positive. Thank you for sharing this.

Hugs, Sharon

Maxine said...

I really like that illustration. The dirt indeed is necessary, isn't it? And we will grow in and from it. Thanks for this meaningful post, Mimi.