and every thought imagined,
hearts and spirits are broken.
An unblinking stare
and a raised eyebrow
burns through the heart, whether justified
Jokes and poking fun
can open wounds as if from a gun.
Through it all, remember the Son
and all that He has done,
for God is the true judging One.
Don't take the blame or feel ashamed.
When those times come,
remember to call upon His name.
Mother and Child
A critic's ultimate victim is himself. He robs himself of seeing the wonders of God in each person, situation, and environment. Like a thief in the night, criticism can steal self-esteem, happiness, motivation, and confidence. Criticism and judgment is a double-edged sword that swings toward the unsuspecting, often innocent, person and then returns like a boomerang to the critic.
As Christians, we are human and we can't help but feel a sense of hurt and disappointment when criticism and judgment are lodged against us. however, we have Someone to turn to for comfort.
Christ's death has made us guiltless in God's sight, and His perspective is the only one that's true.
More important than our hurt feelings, is our responsibility to help the critic. Yes, help the person who complains all the time. If we look closer, we often see a person who is unhappy, insecure, and in search of attention. We may find a person who does not know God or has not grown in her understanding of the love and security He gives to His followers. It would be a shame if we focused on the criticism instead of on the needs of the person who is saying these negative things and thereby missed a chance to work for Christ's Kingdom.
Tune Out the Negative and Turn Up Christ!
- What God knows abut us is more important than what someone says or thinks.
- If you look for something wrong, that is what you will find.
- Criticism chokes Christ and His joy out of our lives and the lives of others.
- God accepts us as we are, so there is no reason to e concerned with criticism by anyone other than Him.
- Weigh what you do. Was what you said a criticism, opinion, or an effort to help?
- If you listen to negative comments all day without saying anything positive, it is just as if you said those same harsh things yourself. Speak up for Christ. Consciously counter negative comments with positive ones and watch others catch on to positive communications.
- Remember that Jesus was criticized -- and He lived a perfect life!
Heavenly Father, help me to always look for the positive, share a good word, and uplift others. I seek to honor You with my thoughts, actions, and words. Father God, thank You for allowing me to return honor to You by seeing others with the eyes of Christ -- with love and acceptance. Amen
References: No compromises