Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Whatever Happened to Nice?

Female Real Estate Agent on Cell Phone in New House with Adult Couple in Background
Female Real Estate Agent on Cell Phone in New House with Adult Couple in Background


Love suffereth long, and is kind: love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, (1 Corinthians 13:4-5a)


A 2006 ABC news "20/20" survey suggests that rudeness is on the rise in America.
The most-cited transgression is annoying or loud cell phone conversations in public places -- 87 percent of respondents say they have encountered this "often" or "sometimes."

Other rude behaviors that at least three-fourths of the respondents see sometimes or often: being disrespectful, use of profanity, use of crude language, and allowing cell phones and email to interrupt conversations.

We hear often about the "dumbing down" of academic and intellectual life, but it appears our manners are getting dumb and dumber as well.

Many people think courtesy is a synonym of manners, and that manners come and go--they change with each generation.

Wrong!

The apostle Paul said that courtesy is a synonym of agape--selfless, sacrificial love. And love does not change with the times.

Rude people are people who love themselves more than others, people who insist on their right to say what they please and act like they want regardless of how it affects others.

If you are tempted to "express yourself," apply the Golden Rule "As ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." (Luke 6::31)

If you wouldn't appreciate your words or actions, it's likely others won't either.

He who sows courtesy reaps friendship.
St. Basil

Turning Point
by Dr. David Jeremiah
Image courtesy of All Posters

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Great message, Jodi, and how true it is!

Karen said...

Oh, how interesting that my girls and I have had this conversation about what ever happened to manners. It's a sad thing, I think.

Mimi said...

Cathy,
thanks for the comments I can always depend on you to read my posts and I really appreciate it...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Karen,
it really is a shame that manners have kind of gone by the wayside isn't it!!!

Anonymous said...

What a truth filled message. The kids and I talk about this so often. I am a real stickler on manners and fortunately so far they are following well.

Come by when you can, I have a couple of gifts for you.

Sharon said...

This is so very true! I like to people watch sometimes and it's so sad to see how some of them treat one another.

Cathy said...

I will attempt to comment again!
Uh oh, Mimi, I called you Jodi! But I'm sure you don't mind. :o) What's going on over at Carol's Cozy Corner? It would not let me comment either. It is quite pretty though. :o)Was it a test to see who would discover it first?!

Mimi said...

Cathy,
Carol's Kozy Corner is a test blog I try things out on... so I won't delete my Grammie blog again... I hope!!! he he :0)

Cathy said...

Sounds like a great idea to me, Mimi. :o) I might need one of those to practice on too!