Monday, October 10, 2016

The Only Way Out of the Dark

Helen Adams Keller American Author and Lecturer
Helen Adams Keller American Author and Lecturer

Helen Keller once said, "truly the Bible, the teaching of our Savior, is the only way out of the dark."


The Bible is more than any man or all men have ever said of it.
It is the record of the progressive revelation of God through the religious experiences of his chosen people.
As such, it is a miraculous, supernatural revelation. The Bible is the world's greatest book and earth's best seller.

In spite of all this, it is often buried beneath other books or papers, pushed into a remote corner, or given a place where spiders spin their webs. Consequently, there is an appalling, widespread ignorance of its contents.

Holy Bible by Samuel Curtis
Holy Bible


When a little girl was asked if she knew anything that was in the Bible, her answer was shocking and revealing. "Yes," she said "there's a pressed rose from Aunt Molley's grave, a lock of Grandpa's hair, and insurance receipt, and Papa's Masonic emblem."

On a simple Bible test given to 99 high school students,
  • 44 did not know who Joseph was,
  • 51 would not place Luke,
  • 46 did not know who Herod and Pilate were,
  • 60 did not know the name of the mother of Jesus,
  • 10 did not know where Christ was born,
  • 5 did not know the opening phrase of the Lord's Prayer, and
  • 90 did not know where to find the Ten Commandments.


College students didn't do any better.
Out of 281, all but 12 of which had attended Sunday school regularly,
  • 222 failed to identify Matthew as the tax collector who became a disciple;
  • 208 could not recall who the father of Joseph and his brothers was;
  • 107 did not know what book the Ten Commandments are in;
  • 183 could not recognize Solomon as the famous wise man of the Old Testament and
  • 169 did not know a single parable of Jesus.


World War II Soldier by Dynamic Graphics
World War II Soldier


A soldier during the World War II was hit above the heart by a small shell.
He carried a small New Testament in his shirt pocket.
The shell struck the Testament and the soldier lived.
He exclaimed, "I will never go anywhere again without a Bible; it saved my life."

Many a person can say, "The Bible saved my life," because instead of carrying it in their pockets, as fine as that is, they hide its teachings in their hearts. It points them to the One who saves. On every page there is light,love, and life.

Dwight L. Moody once said, "Sin will keep you from this book, but this book will keep you from sin."
Many of the tragedies in our lives, homes and nation today are due to our neglect of God's Word. The Bible is God's book, and we should read it as never before. It will lead us out of the dark.




Let all the plans that men devise
Assault that book with treacherous art;
I'll call them vanity and lies,
And bind that Bible to my heart.


references:
medications for happy Christians;
J.P.Wesberry:
Images courtesy all posters

Mimi

19 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow wonderful post once again. The phrase that stated, "Sin will keep you from this book, but this book will keep you from sin." I think that is exactly what keeps people from reading the bible. When you are living a life full of sin, its hard to admit such. To read the bible is to recognize the sin in ones life, and then to acknowledge one is a sinner and needs to change ones way. Even though you might be saved, changing ones life and try stop sinning, to repent ones sin's is not an easy thing to accept.
It is easier to think life will be more simple if not faced with the bible and changes one needs to make. When in fact....The bible brings freedom, safety, and a love.

At least that is what i found when i started reading the bible on a daily bases. It has given me purpose, direction also. I can breath again. :)

Hugs and blessings

Brit. (lille meg) said...

Thank you, Mimi, for that wonderful post!
It is so true.
The Bible is the greatest book in the world.It is read by many people.It contains everything....
The Bible tells us the truth about God and the truth about ourselves.

Anonymous said...

The Bible is just so wonderful it is indescribably wonderful.

Great post.

Hugs.

Jodi said...

Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to Thy Word.

With my whole heart have I sought Thee: O let me not wander from Thy Commandments.

Thy Word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee.
Psalm 119:9-11


Oh that every young person graduating this year could say those words and mean them. Great post, Mom.

~~Deby said...

oh...IF **CHRISTIANS** would just GET THIS...
This was such a good post.
It is so sad to me that we don't realize that it is the WORD OF GOD, it is trustworthy. IT changes hearts.
Thank you for this post.
Deby

Melissa said...

I salute everyone who teach their children and those who volunteer in churches to teach children - for children not to know the Bible is negligence on the part of the adults in their lives.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mimi, for the post! I am so glad that we have God's Word!!

Miriam ~~~<><~~~~

Ruthie said...

How can we not read the Bible - God's love letter to us!
I appreciate your post and the thoughts on this important subject.

Unknown said...

What a great post. Those facts are a little scary. I found I need to keep my Bible somewhere where I can easily see it all week so I don't get distracted with other things and forget to have my quiet time.

Unknown said...

Excellent post! So endearing as I find I'm loving my Bible more and more each day!

Dawn said...

This was amazing and wonderful. So thought-provoking, and so sad. My son took a Bible as Literature course in high school. They had to find allusions to the Bible in modern day. I ended up "helping" him a lot, and was amazed at all the references to Bible stories in the newspaper, comics, commecials, etc., which you would not know if you didn't know the Bible - they would make no sense at all. It was very eye-opening.

Thanks for your prayers - Wednesday a.m. at 9:30 MST is a huge time for Kristen. Please pray, if you can. Thank you!

Mimi said...

Miriam,
I tried to respond to you through E-Mail..and I realized that as annonymous it went in no mans land...
I just wanted you to know that I am still praying for your family...
blessings,
Mimi

Brandy said...

Good morning! I love the post. It is so sad to think that some people do not know who Jesus's mother is. I thought everyone knew that. Take care my friend!

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Amen and again Amen! I don't know where or if I would be without the Bible and what it teaches.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your prayers!!

Miriam~~~<><~~~~

Anonymous said...

Can I email you??

Miriam~~~<><~~~~

Tracy said...

Stopping by to say hello, and wondering if you are ok? You haven't posted in awhile. Just want to make sure all is well with you. I also want to let you know i am doing so much better! I am sure it is because of yours and others prayers for me. I am coming along on my knitting. I finally figured out how to cast on, and do the stitches, so am making a scarf instead of a prayer shawl for my first project. Once i am done with the scarf then i shall move on to a shawl.

Hugs and blessings sent your way.

Mary said...

What an awesome post. I know that my grandsons only learn what I teach them about the Bible. We went to the farm on Thursday and a Hawthorne tree was in bloom. I showed them the thorns and told them that thorns much like those were woven into a crown for Jesus head. They touched them and couldn't believe that anyone would be so cruel. A good lesson for them.

If you have time to stop by my blog, you can see a wildlife surprise if you scroll down to Friday's post. I think you would enjoy it.

Blessings,
Mary

Mimi said...

Miriam,
I would be happy for you to e mail me...my email address is
cnelson440@aol.com
blessings,
Mimi